We are an environmental group of San Mateo residents who have formed the San Mateo County Surfrider Foundation Chapter to help protect the wetlands, bird life, beaches and surf spots that constitute this extraordinary near-shore coastal environment.
While we do have access to certain resources and receive guidance from the Surfrider Foundation, a 20-year-old organization, the San Mateo chapter DOES NOT receive financial support from the national body.
We therefore rely completely on the support of individuals and corporate sponsors in the County who are concerned about the preservation of their coastal environment.
The Surfrider Foundation is a non-profit environmental organization dedicated to the protection and enjoyment of the world’s oceans, waves and beaches for all people, through conservation, activism, research and education.
Represented by 26,000 members and 50 local chapters in the U.S., the Surfrider Foundation also has affiliations in Australia, Japan, France, and Brazil. The Surfrider Foundation has adopted the following principles to guide and govern the activities of the organization.
- SURFRIDER recognizes the biodiversity and ecological integrity of the planet’s coasts are necessary and irreplaceable. SUFRIDER is committed to preserving natural living and non-living diversity and ecological integrity of the coastal environment.
- SURFRIDER promotes the right of to free and open low-impact access to the world’s coastlines, waves and beaches. SURFRIDER acts to preserve this right of access.
- SURFRIDER is dedicated to the protection, rehabilitation and restoration of native coastal ecosystems.
- SURFRIDER believes environmental education is essential to the future health and well- being of the planet. SURFRIDER seeks to develop and utilize educational materials that are informative, factual, proactive, synergistic and fun.
- SURFRIDER strives to be accurate and nonpartisan in its communications with its members and the general public. In-addition, SURFRIDER expresses the unique values inherent in wave-riding; individualism, camaraderie, non-materialism, and an appreciation for man’s historic relations with the Ocean.
- SURFRIDER is a grassroots organization effective through the participation of its members. SURFRIDER activities emphasize the value of an involved membership.
- SURFRIDER encourages all commercial enterprises to adopt the CERES Principles. SURFRIDER will not permit sponsors to divert the Foundation from its mission or projects undertaken.
- SURFRIDER does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, gender, or national origin for any reason. SURFRIDER promotes the healthy enjoyment of the coastal environment for all people.
- SURFRIDER and its representatives, affiliations and chapters agree to abide by these principles and all rules and regulations governing nonprofit 501(c)3 organizations.